Saturday, May 4, 2013

Retro End Table

So, this blog is starting out pretty slow, seeing as how it's been three weeks since my first post! Things have been pretty busy at work- I spent six days in California for two big events, one in Menlo Park and the other in Santa Barbara. Between getting ready for the trip, being gone, and getting back into the swing of things, I haven't had a ton of time for painting or blogging.

Now that things are getting back to normal, I want to share my first piece that I painted and sold. After scoring my TV console dresser on Craigslist, I was curious to see what thrift stores had to offer in terms of old furniture. One Saturday, I made a map and list of nine thrift stores and started on my way. I visited mostly Goodwill stores, stopped at a couple other places on the way - and kept striking out. There was only one piece I was remotely interested in, but it was overpriced for what I wanted to spend. I was so surprised at what some thrift stores charge for things... It's supposed to be a good deal!

I had only planned to go to a couple thrift stores, thinking I would find something and head home. After hitting eight stores, I had one left on my list. I almost decided not to go but was so glad I did- jackpot! There were many things I could have picked out that day, but settled on this cool Mid-Century style end table. (I LOVE Mid-Century furniture- can't you tell?)



This picture was taken after I removed the hardware and sanded it- I was so excited to get started I didn't take any pictures before I started working on it.

I knew I wanted to paint it a teal/turquoise color, which is so popular right now.  Although white goes with everything and may be easier to sell, I much prefer giving things a pop of color. After mulling over several finalists, I went with Martha Stewart Hummingbird Blue. I think it turned out to be the perfect color for this piece! 


To give it some extra character, I decided to give it a metallic accent with some leftover Martha Stewart Metallic Paint I had on hand. I then painted the handle the same metallic color.


I bought this table on Saturday and sanded, primed and painted it by Sunday. On Sunday night I posted it on Craigslist and had an offer less than 24 hours later. The lady picked it up on Tuesday. She was just redoing her basement and said the color was exactly what she was looking for. She emailed me the next day asking for the color name so she could buy the same color for accents in the room.

I was really happy not only to make some money doing something I enjoy, but also to see how much she liked the piece and know that it will be in her home for years to come. 

Next up will be a Mid-Century dresser I painted in this same color. It turned out very cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment