Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Color, Knobs and Name

After completing the Retro End Table and Mid-Century Dresser in Hummingbird Blue, I decided that I wanted to find a color that was still fun but a little more muted. Multiple paint swatches later, I settled on Martha Stewart Arrowroot. My true inspiration for picking this color was the picture of this beautiful French Provincial dresser redo:


(Courtesy of Chrissie's Collections)

I loved it so much I bought a gallon right off the bat- so basically everything since then has ended up being Arrowroot.  (I also am thinking of painting just about every room in my house this color- it's so pretty!)

The first piece I tried it out on was a Mid-Century End Table I picked up at my favorite thrift shop. This is another one that I forgot to photograph before I started sanding, so here it is after some work:



This doesn't even show the cute little drawer pulls, but you'll see those below.  I thought it would be cool to paint the hardware AND the legs aged copper, giving the legs a metallic look.


I really like how it turned out, but I guess it might be a little out there for some people since I haven't had much interest in it- yet! I'm sure it will be perfect for someone, or I can always paint the legs Arrowroot to match the rest of it and see how that goes.

****************************************************************

Remember the knobs from the Mid-Century dresser? I was missing one and couldn't find another, so I had to go with plan B and use different pulls on the bottom. It looked like this:

So cool!

Well, I recently bought a gorgeous MCM set, and it has two broken handles. While looking on Ebay for something to match, I came across this listing:




Five more! I still have three from the original set when I only used four of seven, so if I am able to get these five, I will have eight. I love these knobs, and I love the MCM dresser set I have waiting to be finished, so much so that I have been thinking of keeping it. And these would look AWESOME on that set! But... I would need ten of these babies to work. Which means I would have to wait and hope that two more show up eventually. Maybe I will just work on other projects until I can find two more.... or just finish it with open holes waiting to be filled. I think they are worth it! (Does anyone else get this excited over drawer hardware? Or, more importantly, does anyone have knobs like this they don't want anymore??)

**************************************************************

Lastly, I wanted to say that one of the hardest things about starting a blog (or a side business!) is coming up with a name. I actually thought about starting a blog a year or two ago, but just couldn't think of what to call it. I had just as much trouble this time around, but finally found something I like.

From the start, I thought of including the word "angle" because as some of you may know, that was my nickname from high school. My mom used to make my lunch (wish that still happened!) and she would write my name on the bag. One day, my friend said to me, "I always wonder what your bag says: does it say Angle or Angel?" And I replied, "Well, neither, it says Angie... but if the 'i' was an 'l', it would be Angle." From then on I was called Angle. Could've been worse, right?

I figured Angle could be able to relate to furniture somehow, and it relates to me, too. It was frustrating when most of my first ideas were already taken, like "A New Angle," and I didn't want to have to add on some random number on the end to make it work with the URL. Even more annoying was that a few of the names I wanted went to blogs that were created years ago and had no posts! What does Blogspot do with all those dead blogs that are taking up precious names?

See what I mean: http://anewangle.blogspot.com/ - This one isn't even called A New Angle on the site, it's called Another Angle. Probably because someone else had a dead blog named http://anotherangle.blogspot.com. It'd be nice if they put a time limit on not posting or something before they take the name back for someone else to use.

Finally, Painted Angles popped in my head, and it hadn't been taken! Success! I think it fits well with what I do, so I am happy to finally have a name and be on my way to sharing my projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment