Thursday, June 27, 2013

Flashback: File Cabinet Flip

I have to begin by asking a big favor of you: I have entered a local online contest for furniture makeovers on Facebook. PLEASE take moment to click on one (or both!) of the links below and vote for my Grand Rapids Desk or Chevron Dresser! All you have to do is click the link below and then "like" the picture. Super easy!

Grand Rapids Desk link:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151476542676087&set=a.10151440717511087.1073741827.48762916086&type=3&theater

Chevron Dresser link:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151478126571087&set=a.10151440717511087.1073741827.48762916086&type=1&theater

A HUGE THANK YOU to Stephanie over at Furniture Flippin' for doing me a big favor and featuring my work on her blog and asking people to vote! Her blog is super fun and features a new furniture flip each day. Check her out on Facebook too!



Ok onto my next project...

This one is actually a "flashback" to about a year ago. I have been working on some other stuff lately, but life gets in the way sometimes and I'm not able to finish pieces as fast as I'd like! So, I thought I would share my file cabinet flip.

The idea to redo a file cabinet came from Pinterest. There are some really great ideas on there! After pinning a few, I came up with an idea of my own: paintable wallpaper!

I failed to take a before picture, but it kind of looked like this (only it was way older):


 First I spray painted it blue:


Then I used Mod Podge to adhere paintable wallpaper to the drawer fronts, and decided to paint it silver metallic. I used Martha Stewart's metallic paint and it turned out great!



I definitely wanted to change the hardware from the boring straight handles it originally came with. But I could not for the life of me find ANY hardware that would fit! Unlike wood furniture, you can't just drilling new holes (well, I'm sure you can somehow but I wasn't about to try).

I came up with a solution: two knobs instead! I spray painted them the same color as the cabinet body. I think they go great with the wallpaper!


Here is the finished product. I have been using the side of it as a magnet board (instead of my fridge!)



It was a fun project, but I much prefer solid wood furniture. I don't like spray painting very much because you have to be patient to get an even coat, and I am not patient when it comes to that. I think I had to spray about 6 coats! But now it looks great and has helped me get organized - win-win!

No comments:

Post a Comment